Sara's Reviews > The Tiger's Wife

The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht

Mar 15, 12

Wow. I thought I knew what this book was all about until the end.

That is, as I read it, I was thoroughly engrossed with each layer of the story. There are all the background stories of the lives of many characters from all over. And then on top of all these characters' stories are the interwoven stories of the main character who seeks to find where her grandfather died, her thoughts on and stories about her childhood with her grandfather, her grandfather's childhood experience, which is centered around "the tiger's wife", and her grandfather's wartime experiences particularly with the deathless man.

I thought I knew what this book was about and still absolutely loved it - until the end when I realized I would probably need to read it several more times to really know all of its layers. Her writing is so smooth, her transitions from story to story are easy, even though many have both fantastical elements and too-true horribly real elements (of war and human nature in particular).

I'm not going to say anything about the ending, not just because I wouldn't want to spoil anything but because I really am still mulling it over, trying to figure out what it means. And to me that is a rare and previous thing, a gift.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tiger's Wife.