Shelley's Reviews > Black Lament

Read on October 26, 2012

*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Review*

Madeline (Maddy) Black has had enough of being pushed around and targeted just because of who she is and what she carries. She is suffering from a loss of the heart, and everyone around her is worried that she might take a leap over to the dark side and be just what Lucifer has always wanted; a protégée.

“Every time you try to cross me (Lucifer) you just get pulled further into my orbit.”

If you’ve read Black Howl (Black Wings # 3), you know that it ended with a shocking death and a surprise revelation that left readers wondering what else we can expect from Christina Henry. Every time Maddy tries to extract herself from the Fallen and her own father’s viciousness, and plots to unseat Lucifer, she somehow finds more enemies and more entanglements than one person should be allowed to face in one lifetime.

Maddy’s job as an Agent of Death is severely tried and tested and she ends up making a decision that left me wondering what will happen next.

Black Lament is filled with intrigue, darkness, action, new characters and their threats, as well as questions that will have to hold readers over until the next installment of this series. We see an entirely different side to Maddy than we’ve seen before.

It’s a story that you will either love or hate because of the way Maddy decides to become something of a vigilante after losing the love of her life. She goes after her enemies with a sort of reckless abandonment and somehow survives despite all the odds which is truly miraculous considering they are supposedly more powerful and have been around since the beginning of time.

In a way, Black Lament is hard to review without spoiling what happens over the course of its pages. The usual suspects are back: Beezle, Samiel, Jude, J.B, and Nathaniel who has been given the job of protecting Maddy from harm at the expense of his own life by Lucifer. There are, of course, new characters that come into the picture and whose own agendas are not fully revealed.

Naturally, there is a cliffhanger, of sorts, that left me screaming and wanting to read the next book asap!

Expected publication: October 30th 2012 by Ace

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Lament.

10/26/2012 page 57
10/26/2012 page 205
71.0% "This series is quickly becoming the How many different people can Maddy piss off at one time before she is sent packing."