Carrie Ardoin's Reviews > Something Strange and Deadly

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: i-own-this, gmta-luxury, zombeeeeez
Read from April 18 to 21, 2012

So, this was my first Victorian/steampunk horror novel. It was definitely an interesting genre for me, as I'm used to reading books with fierce, warrior-like heroines who would never dream of fighting the supernatural while also having to wear a corset and layers of frilly skirts. But, I did come to at least partially like Eleanor. I just had a hard time seeing her worry about her reputation and pleasing her mother so much. She is only 16, and I have to remember that 1876 was a very different time from 2012. During the course of the book, she changes a great deal and I found her stronger by the end.

While I went into this novel thinking it would be more of a zombie attack book, it was not like that at all. The zombies are an important part of the novel, but they are not really the zombies most of us love in literature. These walking dead are more like controlled drones than flesh eating beasts. But that's OK with me...as the story progressed I came to enjoy the necromancer plot and how it all tied together in the end.

There was a very delicate thread of romance woven into the story. Eleanor nearly finds herself in two romances, actually. One she doesn't want because her mother is trying to puch her into it, and one she never expected but still wants even though she knows she shouldn't. That was another aspect of the book I liked--times were different in the way relationships progressed as well. There is none of the dreaded insta-love in this book, and that is a breath of fresh air.

I did have some problems with the pacing, though. The first 100 or so pages were very slow for me. Then some action would happen, then lots of exposition in between important plot points. But all in all the action interspersed was enough to keep be reading steadily.

This was a very different and intriguing novel for me, and I LOVED that there was not a perfect fairy tale ending. The end was sort of left open for a sequel, although I feel this could almost be a stand alone book. I could see myself reading more from this genre, and from this writer.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Strange and Deadly.

04/19/2012 page 51
13.0% "50 pages in, things I still don't know that are bothering me: WHAT YEAR IS IT?!? What does Eleanor look like? Is her brother Elijah older or younger? And for that matter, how old is she?"
04/20/2012 page 137
34.0% "At least I found out what year it is, finally!"
show 1 hidden update…