Derek Jordan's Reviews > Hero's Curse

Hero's Curse by Jack J. Lee

Mar 23, 12

bookshelves: owned-kindle
Recommended to Derek by: amazon
Recommended for: those that are not worried about belief systems that like sci-fi/fantasy
Read from March 15 to 22, 2012, read count: 1

While there are Biblical based things in the book.. this is NOT the belief of those that are, well ... Bible believing Christians. The liberties taken within the book are extensive. Actually, if you remember a movie a good little bit back with Jay and Silent Bob.. and angels. This book is a bit like that one - it has somewhat gritty scenes, a good amount of bad language, and a fairly descriptive sex scene as well.

The other things the book reminds me of is Dresden files but following the Paladin, though.. in this particular Paladin's case ... rough and vulgar. I thought maybe that attitude would change as he learned the 'job', but it didn't and even those that had been paladin's for basically their entire lives were vulgar as well. The book is full of anti-heroes.

And it also reminded me of Artemis Fowl .. when technology was mixed with magic and such. The way things were explained and the detail that went into some of that stuff was very much like that series.

I would go into debating much of the theories and artistic licensing decisions made about God and gods, but .. to be honest I do not feel a great need for it. Just be known that the book does NOT follow common belief of Christianity, or really any belief system - rather just smashing them together to create something new.

As for recommendation - I would not recommend anyone of Christian belief read this - while the story is good .. the changes and liberties made can be gut wrenching, as well the vulgar language and graphic sex scene are .. distracting.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hero's Curse.