steph 's Reviews > The Unexpected Miss Bennet

The Unexpected Miss Bennet by Patrice Sarath

3 to 3.5 stars

First I want to say that I really enjoyed this book. It was well written and the male lead they introduced for Mary was a good fit with her and their scenes together made me laugh. I also liked that we got to see more of other characters like Charlotte and Lady Anne more in this book. That was nice. That said, I wasn't the biggest fan of Mary in here which is why I couldn't up the rating, her being the lead and all. I just felt like in order to give her her own book and make her likable for the reader, the author had to change a lot about her character. And while I didnt mind that and while the author did a good job showing and explaining the reasoning behind those actions (her stopping playing the piano, her stopping in quoting Fordscye), I just didn't like the change in Mary. She was just too nice and less scripture quoting for me. I guess my problem was I was expecting the Mary from P&P. But that Mary would never get her own book so really, in the end, I set myself up for this disappointment.

Still one of the better Austen verse books I've read, despite my misgivings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unexpected Miss Bennet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace Ooooh. Let me know if this is any good!

steph I will. I'm excited though, the reviews make it look good although it looks like I am going to have to break down and buy it. I searched on world.cat, and the libraries around me don't have it yet. Poor Mary.

message 3: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Have you guys seen this one? http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64... I'm hoping to get to it soon!

steph Hhhhmmmm...that looks pretty interesting. Who knew there was so many books about Mary? lol