Alyssa's Reviews > Mrs. Dalloway

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

Apr 08, 12

bookshelves: school
Read in March, 2012

Disclaimer: I really hate reading books for school. Required reading sucks all the fun out of actually reading; therefore, my review is biased as all school books (save very few) do not appeal to me.

Mrs. Dalloway, which I read for my Europe 1900s class, is about Clarissa Dalloway, the wife of a politician named Richard Dalloway. The story occurs over the course of a day, on which Clarissa is to throw a party later that night. Throughout the novel, we see switches to other sets of characters as well as flashbacks to the past.

Set after WWI, Virginia Woolf captures snapshots of the lives of the survivors and its victims. For one, we have Septimus, who grieves over the loss of his friend Evans. We also have a society that throws parties and tries to continue on with life even after the destruction wrought by the war.

What was interesting about this book was the changes into perspective. When Clarissa is shopping for flowers and hears a noise on the street from a car, we then switch to Septimus and his Italian wife, and their reaction to the scene.

Overall, this is not a book I would have picked up on my own. I did get a 100% on the book quiz, however. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Dalloway.