Debby's Reviews > When Life and Beliefs Collide: How Knowing God Makes a Difference

When Life and Beliefs Collide by Carolyn Custis James

Aug 07, 08

bookshelves: 5-star-books, non-fiction

This book is well written, very well researched and also easy to read. It's a book on the subject of women and their theology, but it is definitely NOT a stuffy read.
The book is written from the perspective of the 3 different meetings Mary and Martha have with Jesus - Mary at the feet of Jesus while Martha is busy in the kitchen; Mary and Martha after the death of their brother Lazarus; and Mary and Martha at the home of Lazarus after he has been raised rom the dead. The author's insight into how Jesus relates to both these women in the details of their lives is very challenging and very moving.
Through reading this book I learned that my understanding, my belief, my trust of who God is and my relationship with Him through Jesus Christ matters in how I look at and face the issues of life. To be honest, the title of the book is what captured my attention, as so often "life" and my beliefs about God always seemed to be colliding. When confronted with life in this world, it's joys, sorrows, struggles, conflicts and suffering that we all experience, I found my beliefs about God being challenged and needing to be confronted or clarified for their accuracy. Is my theoloy valid according to Scripture or am I really just trying to get God to work my agenda so my life will be comfortable and work better for me. Not an easy thing to face, but definitely a prefitable thing to do.
This bood was very challenging and immensely helpful to me. I very highlyrecommend this book!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Life and Beliefs Collide.