Lauren's Reviews > The Wordy Shipmates

1291915
Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: us-history, audiobooks, library-loan
Read in December, 2011

Had I not *listened* to this one, I probably would have only given it 3 stars - but the audiobook version is so great that it gets 4. Vowell is the main narrator, and maybe I have warmed up to her but her childlike voice no longer bothers me. I loved her readers, most notably Campbell Scott as John Winthrop, Peter Dinklage as Roger Williams and Catherine Keener as Anne Hutchinson.

This was my 2nd Vowell book, and I really like her style of wit, humor, and historical analysis. I like her interspersed stories of family trips to historical sites and the commentary of her young nephew, Owen.

Seventeenth-century New England colonial history was largely glossed over in my high school history courses with the exception of Plymouth, Salem, and the Iroquois Nations. The names of the Massachusetts Bay Company settlers were familiar like someone I heard of long ago, but I knew little about them. I learned a lot from this book. Vowell uses many direct quotes (which is what made the audio version so fun with the different readers) and frequently talks about her research methods.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wordy Shipmates.

12/25/2011 page 130
51.0% "Really enjoying the audio of this -" 1 comment
12/27/2011 page 200
79.0% "A bit long-winded in the middle - had I not been listening to the audio version with a cast of great narrators (Campbell Scott as John Winthrop? just too good) I probably would have put this one down a few times."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mick (new) - added it

Mick I may have to check out this audio version. I could listen to Peter Dinklage read the phone book and be entertained; he has one of the all time best voices.