Michael's Reviews > Panserhjerte

Panserhjerte by Jo Nesbø

Apr 02, 12

Read from March 15 to 31, 2012

My second Nesbo book after The Snowman, which I enjoyed. This one was very similar in construction. Harry hole has lost himself to opium despair in Hong Kong to escape the memory of having dealt with the Snowman serial killer. He is brought back to work on a new serial killer case involving someone using a bizarre torture device.
Harry Hole is a character remindful of Michael Connelley's Harry Bosch in personality and his disdain for police politics. The serial killer characters in Nesbo's books are remindful of Hannibal Lechtor so they are attractive to those fans. Nesbo is also lengthy in his story telling much like Steig Larsson but I think he is a better writer. Larsson tended to put needless filler material in his books whereas Nesbo adds detailed minutiae. The plot is intricate and convoluted with red herrings being thrown left and right and even the red herrings throw off red herrings. There is also a wealth of back ground detail involving the serial killer's psyche and how he got that way.
If you like your crime mysteries twisty and complex along with gruesome murders then you will enjoy Harry Hole's series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Panserhjerte.