All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-kristina
Read in April, 2012

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH felt like a massively lavish and gothic prologue to Edgar Allen Poe’s short story by the same name. In Bethany Griffin’s tale the rich are privileged enough to live in secluded areas and wear masks to protect them from the Weeping Sickness while the poor are left to await the corpse collectors to carry away their loved ones. While the masks are meant to be protection, I got a distinctly creepy vibe at the thought of people wandering the streets with half their faces frozen as if the living are wearing reminders of the death they were trying to avoid every day.

Araby, a suitably tragic character for a gothic tale, is one of the fortunate mask wearers who is not only trapped behind her mask, but by her grief over her brother Finn’s death which she blames herself for.Throughout the story Araby denies herself everything that her brother can’t experience anymore including intimacy with emotion numbing drugs that often leave her passed out in clubs.

The love triangle was complex in the sense that I kept changing who I felt Araby should be with every time some new bit of information came up about Elliot or Will. Both guys had their positive and negative qualities. Will is poor and taking care of his siblings while working at the Debauchery Club that Araby meets him at. Elliot is an artist type trying to rebel against Prince Prospero; the tyrannical ruler of their land who does all he can to deny the poor protection from the Weeping Sickness. But both were deceptive or exhibited frightening behaviour towards Araby multiple times in the story. There wasn’t really a romance per se as Araby spent a lot of the book wanting to but denying herself the pleasure of kissing. I don’t necessarily agree with who she appears to choose in the end since one guy’s negative qualities outweighs the other’s significantly from my perspective.

It was fun noting the allusions to the original Masque of the Red Death work while reading Griffin’s retelling which expertly matched Poe’s tale in tone and style. I loved the beautiful gothic descriptions of this world though it did take me awhile to get used to the first person present tense and the story started off slow, but once the action picked up the story didn’t drag as much. MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH weaves a compelling tale in a dark homage to Poe’s classic gothic horror story.

Sexual Content:
Some kissing
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.