Lyn's Reviews > A Man Without a Country

A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

Aug 01, 14

Read from March 16 to 17, 2012

A while back another writer, a reviewer, a critic, or whatever we are called, described a Kurt Vonnegut novel as another fun visit with Uncle Kurt. I really liked that description and have since plagiarized that avuncular idea to denote reading a Vonnegut book.

Like another of my favorites, Robert A. Heinlein, who has also been described as a crazy old uncle you run into at a reunion, Uncle Kurt can make you laugh, make you a little uncomfortable, and most of all make you think.

A Man Without A Country has been described as possibly the closest thing we Vonnegut fans may get to a memoir from him. Like all the rest it is filled with his unique perspective on the world and with maybe more acerbic wit and vitriol that can be remembered from most of his works.

Written in 2004, he did not like George Bush and was unabashedly opposed to the Iraqi invasion. He opined that like Mark Twain and Einstein before him, he had given up on humanity, that he had simply grown too grumpy to be funny anymore. Let me respectfully disagree, I smiled throughout most of the short book (145 pages) laughed several times and almost fell out of my chair at his explanation as to why he did not win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

This latest visit with crazy Uncle Kurt was as fun as ever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Man Without a Country.