Lady Jaye's Reviews > Oracle's Moon

Oracle's Moon by Thea Harrison

Apr 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2012, stars-3, meh-ok, owned-kindle-or-ebook, pb-other, romance-paranormal, underwhelming
Read in April, 2012

Hmph.

I debated whether or not to write review for this one, considering that I was ready to write off the series after Book 3, but here I am, so what the heck.

I rated this one 3 stars keeping the other books in series very much in mind and not on its own merit. I am not sure the rating would be higher if considered on it's own merit.

The strongest and probably only reaction I had to this book after finishing was supreme indifference. Nothing happens in the book. Really. Nothing happens. Grace and Khalil were thrown together at the beginning and there they remained till the end (well, it's not exactly true that nothing happens - there is some drama in the final 40 pages of the book, but by then we've been through 302 pages of nothing, so those pages don't count).

There is no sense of rising action, climax, falling action, resolution, no real conflict..... nada. Zilch. That in itself isn't a bad thing. Sometimes the journey a story takes you through is the destination. This was not one of those books or stories for me.

I guess it was a good story. But it was like a beautiful mannequin as opposed to a living, breathing human being, or like a nice painting that evokes no emotion whatsoever. There was no life to it.

Khalil had some moments where he came to life, I think. But Grace remained stiff and lifeless throughout. This might just be a quirk of mine, but I also found some of the interactions of Khalil and Grace with other people rude instead of cool. I've been having that problem with several books and characters lately, so it might just be me and not them.

It has been this way for every single book.

1. Book 1, Dragon Bound, was a chore until it sprang to life 50% of the way through - and it was a gushing fountain that spilled forth and colored the whole book and the characters. I ended up loving it and do reread it often.

2. The struggle began again with book 2, Storm's Heart: It evoked strong feelings of wanting to bludgeon the male lead. But there was something there.

3. The struggle was there again in book 3, Serpent's Kiss: And yet, there must have been residual traces, because I had some sort of reaction: surprised liking for Carling and huge disappointment in Rune

4. Book 4 - Dead in the water.

I read this one against my better judgment, and...my better judgment was right.

I'll read the next book in series because I hope Ms. Harrison will be able to recreate her combination of great writing with vibrancy and life in Dragos and Pia.

And after that, probably only a book that has Graydon in it, because I like him.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oracle's Moon.

04/07/2012 page 0
0.0% "Buddy read with Layla. Will start when she gives us the go-ahead. Don't let me down, Ms. Harrison!"
04/07/2012
44.0% "WHAT exactly is going on in this story? what is the point? the goal? NOTHING is happening. And the journey is not that interesting....so sitting back and enjoying the ride is not really an option here."
04/07/2012
100.0% "Rudeness is not sexy."
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

it is a good book, just a bit slow for me lol

Lady Jaye It's massively slow for me too.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah , i think the pace could have been faster

message 4: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Rude? Really. Whoa. I don't know when I'll want to pick this one up... Thanks, Lady Jaye, for 'taking one for the team'. Great and informative review!

Lady Jaye Lol, Lisa Kay. In all fairness the rude thing might just be me. But lots of people seem to love it as much as Dragon Bound, so you might like it too. :/