Farrah's Reviews > The Peculiars

The Peculiars by Maureen Doyle McQuerry

Mar 16, 2012

bookshelves: historical-paranormal-romance
Read in March, 2012

That was surprisingly good; I didn't expect to like this book so much.
The Peculiars starts out slowly. Lena decides to find her father, ends up spying on Mr. Beasly for Thomas Saltre, working as an assistant to Jimson Quiggley. Things move slowly until the aerocopter escape, then the plot, pardon the pun, takes off.

The concept of Peculiars is and interesting one. The one part of the book that I took some issue with is that their not really explained. I don't know if there will be a sequel to expand on that, but in this book I didn't fully understand the Peculiars.

Everything else about this book was spectacular. Lena is decisive and does what she believes is right no matter what. She can admit she's wrong, however, and does on several occasions. She was a nice character to read about, though not particularly unique.

I loved all of the secondary characters. Jimson was sweet. The romance with him a so light it's almost nonexistent but there are a few tender moments. It was adorable how he accepted Lena the way she was. Mr. Beasly was interesting. He was a doctor turned inventor. He's and eccentric, to say the least, but in the best way possible. He was a fun character. And, I have to say, I loved Mrs. Mumbles, the cat. She was a character all her own. She had that cat way of stealing the show. Or maybe that's just for me ;)

The story was fast paced and action packed after the flight from Zephyr house. Though it wasn't an entirely unique story-line, it was definitely interesting.

So, after getting off to a shaky start, the Peculiars turned out to be amazing. It's not an earth-shattering, live-changing kind of book (like If I Die) but it's definitely worth a read (or a few) so I would recommend it to anyone.

4/5

I obtained a copy of this book through Netgalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Peculiars.