Laura Harrington's Reviews > Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting

Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela Druckerman

Mar 21, 12

Read from March 15 to 20, 2012

Loved this book. Could not put it down. Totally fascinating and I no longer have a little one at home. So much to think about and talk about.
It brings all of our American anxieties into sharp focus. I'd love to know what impact the emphasis on respect and manners has on the incidence of sexual assault and violence against women and girls.

I'm dying to talk about this book. The NYTimes reviewer gives it short shrift, I feel, and misses many important points. But it's a starting point for discussion, if you're interested:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Up Bébé.

message 1: by Tim (new)

Tim I thought there was a lot of truth in the book. We create the messes we choose to live with. I found it amusing that in an earlier essay, the author had written about her birthday present she gave her husband on his 40th birthday - a threesome (apparently he had wanted to be with 2 women). Her methodical interviewing and candid assessment of the experience was amusing and convinced me that some people would be better off if their fantasies could simply remain fantasies.

This is not by way of an ad hominem attack on Druckerman, because the reviews I read of her work made some compelling points. The most fascinating thing for me was to read the outraged comments of defensive American parents about Druckerman's comments. It's worth a look if you have not explored the dark side of commentary!