Hayden's Reviews > The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary

The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce

Mar 15, 12

Read on March 15, 2012

Since it's written with 'ye olde wordes' that we no longer use, parts of it are difficult to understand. Some definitions, my eyes just scan right over them, because I don't care what Bierce defines ____ or ____ as, and the humor is lost on me. But other definitions are so spot on and hilarious... I mean, it's a dictionary, but its also like a book, so I'm having trouble figuring if I'm supposed to read it all the way through or if I should pull it out for the occasional laugh. The definitions I didn't care for, I REALLY didn't care for. But the ones that amused me will probably pop up randomly in my memory in the future, resulting in a laugh echo that is always a great feeling.

NOTE: My edition of TDD, The Devil's Dictionary [With ATOC] was not on on goodreads? I don't think I had the complete dictionary. Knowing that there are more devil's definitions out there makes me hungry to find them. It also makes me wish I had found them before I purchased my book WITH ATOC, whatever the devil that means. :P I don't really care to read business definitions or political definitions or satirical religious ones. I just want to read plain old simple funny ones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unabridged Devil's Dictionary.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mohammed Oh just because you can't understand the language of the time you gave it such a low score? Excellent logic.

Amanda If you didn't understand it I wouldn't bother looking for the other copies. Hopefully in the future though you may actually appreciate his work.