Sarah's Reviews > The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente

642041
Dec 03, 13

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from March 12 to 20, 2013

There are few writers I'm as jealous of as Catherynne Valente. She tosses out ideas that might hold up entire books - or at least short stories - for single sentences in the process of world building. The Fairyland that she built in the first book, and the Fairyland-Below which is the main setting of this sequel, are rich settings full of distinct characters. Like the Wizard of Oz and the Phantom Tollbooth, this is part quest and part travelogue. It has messages and meaning and wyveraries and watchful dresses and quiet physicks and all sorts of things that deserve to exist, even if only on the page. I am grateful that Valente brought them into being, and jealous that she thought of them first, and happy that she put them into such beautiful sentences.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Catherynne M. Valente
“A book is a door, you know. Always and forever. A book is a door into another place and another heart and another world.”
Catherynne M. Valente, The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There

Catherynne M. Valente
“I'm sure you've heard people talk about their Heart's Desire—well that's a load of rot. Hearts are idiots. They're big and squishy and full of daft dreams. They flounce off to write poetry and moon at folk who aren't worth the mooning. Bones are the ones that have to make the journey, fight the monster, kneel before whomever is big on kneeling these days. Bones do the work for the heart's grand plans. Bones know what you need. Hearts only know want.”

Catherynne M. Valente
“Do you suppose you will look the same when you are an old woman as you do now? Most folk have three faces—the face they get when they’re children, the face they own when they’re grown, and the face they’ve earned when they’re old. But when you live as long as I have, you get many more. I look nothing like I did when I was a wee thing of thirteen. You get the face you build your whole life, with work and loving and grieving and laughing and frowning.”

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan I have to get to this one. I loved the first book, and there were so many quotable lines in it. I love the analogy you make to The Phantom Tollbooth and The Wizard of Oz too.

Sarah This one has some good quotes too. I haven't brought them over here yet.

message 3: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Sarah Pi wrote: "This one has some good quotes too. I haven't brought them over here yet."

I could tell from your review that there were some good quotes. Yes, I'll have to fit this one in this year.

message 4: by Marlee (new)

Marlee Pinsker I will try to get this book!

Sarah Marlee wrote: "I will try to get this book!"

I bought copies of all three books in this series for the baby this weekend. I'm sure she won't mind if you read them first, since she's going to have to wait eight years or so.
She was crying when I talked with Ellie, and I said "Don't cry. I just bought you the Fairyland books!" and she stopped crying. Clearly she has inherited the family booklove.