Destinee Sutton's Reviews > Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: africa, siblings, grown-up-books, book-group-worthy, adoption
Read from March 15 to 19, 2012

What a beautiful book. I cried and cried...and wondered how to pronounce many names and words. Because the book is about doctors, there was a ton of medical jargon that meant almost nothing to me, but somehow that didn't get in the way of the story.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys getting swept up in a family epic. This one takes the reader from India to Ethiopia to New York City. It spans three generations, beginning with a nun and a surgeon, then their twin sons, and going back to the surgeon's parents. The twin brothers, Marion and Shiva, are raised by adoptive parents (also doctors) and all the people who work at their mission hospital in Addis Ababa.

Suffused with Ethiopian history and politics, the almost magical relationship between the twins, the art of medicine, and the beauty of love and family, this was a looooong book I'm so glad I took on. It was a book club pick and I almost gagged when I saw how many pages I had to read, especially when I have literally dozens of books I'm supposed to be reading for the Mock Newbery. But books like this are totally worth it (see also: Let the Great World Spin, One Hundred Years of Solitude, The Red Tent, and Oscar and Lucinda).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cutting for Stone.