Barbara Kraemer's Reviews > Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems

Cesar's Way by Cesar Millan

F_50x66
Mar 15, 12

Cesar Millan is synonymous with dog training these days due to his TV show The Dog Whisperer. I think we and our dogs owe him a debt of gratitude for bringing the importance of dog training to the forefront of American's minds, and making it more accessible. His theory of calmness around dogs and having a positive, confident energy around them is an important part of the success of dog training, that he impressed the importance of on the world, and both have made a huge difference in dog training because dogs are very sensitive to humans emotions in assessing a situation.

It's his dominant alpha theories that have been proven unnecessary and even harmful in some cases to dogs, and his theories and methods in some cases are not based on any scientific facts. The scientific communities have found that dogs have very little in common with wolves and the hierarchical model he uses of one alpha dog is not present in dog packs. Also, present day research has shown that dogs are more likely to remember and repeat behaviors if they are taught with positive reinforcement rather than fear based reinforcement such as the alpha rollover. Plus positive reinforcement helps to create a bond with the family and a psychologically healthy dog. This book was written in 2006 and my understanding is that Cesar is starting to adopt more positive training techniques into his teaching now, so perhaps a later book would be more beneficial.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cesar's Way.