Melissa McShane's Reviews > Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others

Hellboy, Vol. 3 by Mike Mignola

Oct 26, 2016

bookshelves: graphic-novels, own, dark-fantasy, gory, protag-both
Read in August, 2015

Re-read 8/1/15: I'm increasing my rating of the collection because I appreciate the thematic unity better than I did before. Each of these stories is based in folklore to some degree, underlining the series' commitment to myth and legend as opposed to the companion series B.P.R.D., which emphasizes the paranormal investigator aspect. I still love "The Wolves of August," but this time I was also drawn to "A Christmas Underground," which is a very creepy variation on The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Even so, I look forward to a return to the main storyline.

6/19/12: With this third volume, I feel the limitations of reading the comics in bound form instead of as single issues. The stories are good, but some refer to previous issues that in this version were printed later. My favorite is probably "The Wolves of August." I was very surprised to learn from Mignola's notes that in "Almost Colossus" he was planning to kill off Liz Sherman because he never knew what to do with her. Really? She's got to be the most mythic character he's got (second to Hellboy), and the way he's designed her pyrokinetic abilities should be an obvious starting point for a major storyline. Good thing he worked that out, because she's my favorite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hellboy, Vol. 3.