Liv Chanin's Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: arc, young-adult, dystopian, steam-punk, fantasy, yummy-bad-boys, macabre, bonus-points-for-originality
Read from March 15 to 16, 2012

I got this book as an ARC at the PLA conference, and I am very upset...upset that I have to wait for the sequel, that is! I would give this a 4.5 for pure originality. The story is captivating and different, a macabre tale of despair, hope, and revolution. I loved the alternate reality of the booke - steampunk, victorian, and futuristic at the same time. Throw in a dose of intrigue and romance, and this book has something for everyone. I haven't read anything quite like it. My one complaint (a stylistic complaint that might not bother everyone) is that the writing is very clipped and the sentence structures are unvaried. After thinking about this book over the weekend, however, I wonder if that was the author's intent, as the stacatto and jumpy pacing fits in well with the tone of the book. In all, I would recommend this book in a heartbeat, and I hope to see much more from Ms. Griffin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

03/15/2012 page 59
18.0% "Got an ARC of this book at the PLA conference. Can't put it down!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling Hah hah, I loved the first line of your review. I think my pre-review bemoaned the wait for book two as well. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!