Leslie's Reviews > I Am Half-Sick of Shadows

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley

Jan 09, 2015

bookshelves: mystery, library-book
Read on March 15, 2012

Wonderful, funny book that has introduced me to a whole new genre I didn't even know existed- the cozy English mystery. Each one is funnier than the last. I might die before the next one is out. One question though: what was all that yarooing about in the last paragraph? Just happy to be there or something she saw in there? Like, say, something we won't know about till the next book?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Half-Sick of Shadows.

03/15/2012 "This book Is so bloody funny it has become imoossible to drink hot coffee and read it at the same time! I laugh so much I think I scalded the inside if my nose or sinuses or something. Honestly, these Flavia books are too funny! I'll share a secret. I picture a very young Haley Mills as Flavia. You know, about the age she was when she played Pollyanna. I am not at all half sick of shadows."

Austen to Zafón You never read Agatha Christie growing up? Miss Marple was a favorite of mine!

Leslie I never li,ed mysteries at all until quite recently! I do like Masterpiece Theatre's Miss Marple and have been watching it on dvd this weekend! I find I didn't like the books at all.

Austen to Zafón I was a rabid mystery reader in high school. I read all the classics like Christie, Dorothy Sayers, and Ngaio Marsh. A few years ago, I enjoyed quite a few of the Martha Grimes mysteries, although they got a little formulaic after a while. Always a danger with a series.

Leslie Oh new writers, (to me, that is)! I have read one Sayers, but not the other two. Have Marsh on my tbr list I think. Now I'll go check out Martha Grimes. Thanks!

Marlena I took the yaroo to mean that she got her scientific equipment as a present presumably from Dogger.

Leslie Oh! Now I'll have to go back and read it again!