Taschima's Reviews > Bitter Blood

Bitter Blood by Rachel Caine

Mar 15, 2012

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from October 21 to 25, 2012

How can I possibly explain how utterly awesome this book was? I devoured it. It had everything I was hoping for, which means it had Myrnin, Claire/Myrnin, Claire, Amelie, Amelie/Oliver, Eve, Eve/Michael, adventure, shocking events, constant danger... It was so nice getting to once again re visit these great characters... with the exception of Shane of course (I am an avid supporter of the "let's kill Shane" fan club; there's more of us than you think). Bitter Blood was pretty much Morganville on a whole new level.

"Morganville's bricks and mortar were back together, but its people were coming apart"

What could Rachel Caine possibly come up with next? She basically created the father of all bad assness (Bishop) (well, two fathers of bad assness if you count Frank Collins) and had him take over the entire town in about 2-3 books. She also created a whole new set of mythological creatures that made us all re think the idea of taking a nice shower as much as the next vampire (the Draug) for the last couple of books, so what can she possibly come up with next to keep our gang on their toes? And on book thirteen nonetheless? Well, nothing fancy really, she just sparked the flame of the town from the inside and watched it burn... add in a blind queen, a lost Myrnin, and fractured relationships inside the glass house and you got yourself a tea party you really don't want to miss.

I am amazed at how alive this series still is. Being on book thirteen and still being able to keep your readers interested and at the edge of their seats isn't a small feat, but Morganville is different and if it manages to capture your attention in the first few books, well, then you are going to be ensnared in it's pages till the very end. I know I still am! With every book new things are brought into the mix, like different POVs for example, that just make the story grow and evolve, develop into something bigger than itself and way better than most series floating around.

But I'm rambling here so I am just going to tell you some of my favorite parts (without spoiling). One was of course Myrnin, whole lot of Myrnin! Yes, we finally get what we have ALL been waiting for, we get to be inside Myrnin's mind, and it doesn't disappoint. Claire, she has grown up so much. I mean the scared innocent girl first introduced in Glass House is now a strong, smart, determined woman who can take care of herself plus bring good into the town. And she specially does something in this book that just earned her buckets of respect from my part (view spoiler). Also Eve and Michael's marriage plays a huge roll in this book, specially since nobody seems to be on their team. The story evolves and keeps you entertained, Bitter Blood is definitely not a filler, and by the end some things happen that make the prospect of the NEXT book all that much more interesting. (view spoiler)

Bad Parts? Other than Shane still kicking it up nothing really. He just manages to piss me off in every single book. Though he manages to redeem himself a tiny bit I still dislike him for being untrustworthy and fickle. Alas though, he is the main character's love interest so c'est la vie.

Final Verdict: Read it! So worth it because of everything. It's a good book for Morganville fans out there. The series still has plenty of juice left. I can't believe there is only 2 more books left...

[image error]

Old Update:

The vampires in Morganville are pissing me off. They are really quick to forget that without human help they would have been DEAD and GONE. I am actually surprised that Shane, Eve, Michael and Claire didn't haul ass in the last book by the end; The computer was clearly not working anymore and they did EVERYTHING in their power to help take back the city. Amelie owes them that much. Queen bitch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Blood.

10/21/2012 "Already pissed off and I'm only on page 6! These vamps will never learn..."
10/21/2012 page 157
44.0% "Hmmm Okay, I can sort of deal with this. How will they get themselves out of this one?"
10/22/2012 page 215
61.0% "Some good stuff is happening for those Myrnin fans out there!"
10/22/2012 page 239
67.0% "Oh no... it;s coming close to that time when it ENDS! T___T"
10/24/2012 page 357
100.0% "Shane is such a freaking ASS! How can ANYBODY LIKE him?!"
10/24/2012 page 404
100.0% "I just got freshly delivered a whole butt load of respect for Claire, I love this woman, she gets better every single damn book (even though she is still with Shane, I can somehow forgive her)."
10/24/2012 page 404
05/29/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Sheyla (new)

Sheyla I agree,they always help vampires and they return favor with threats. I think claire should wake up, stop defending them and reveal himself as shane, eve and other human subject have been telling.

Abby Hahah, the vamps are pretty moody, specially Oliver. Hey dude, i just saved your ass. Shutup you filthy human, back in my day .. blah blah. But i love em ^.~

Taschima Sigh, hopefully the humans won't have it that bad next book.

message 4: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca By putting up the book review you made me like triple the wanting of this book, which makes a whole lot harder for me to wait. noooo.

wafiyah Damn, I really like Shane. (view spoiler)

This review is really helpful, though.

ReadingRoxy I found a review! This makes me want the book 100 times more *.* I agreed about the vampires...they are getting to the point of me just wanting to slpa them in the face, I like Amelie but in the last few books...*tisk* and Myrnin! I'm happy that we finally get to read about him! asfsfskhfk I want this book so bad /:

Taschima @Wafiyah (view spoiler)

It was such a good book though :D

wafiyah Oh, I was going to, but apparently you don't accept messages (or so your profile says).

Taschima Wafiyah wrote: "Oh, I was going to, but apparently you don't accept messages (or so your profile says)."

That's weird... Hmm let me see what I can do about that =)

message 10: by Shirlyn (new) - added it

Shirlyn Chin I am being open-minded here. Why do you hate Shane?

Taschima Because he is a hard head who can't see reason when it's most needed, doesn't trust Claire, or Michael, like he should, and always manages to screw everything up. He just manages to get on my nerves in every single book one way or another.

message 12: by Shirlyn (new) - added it

Shirlyn Chin ?? In the second book too? When he told his dad "no, I'm not going to do whatever you told me. Go screw yourself" and said he just wanted his friend and girlfriend back? I mean, he seriously got on my nerves with the whole Gloria issue, but even in his darkest time, I am still able to see that he loves Claire even if he is acting like a bawbag with Michael. May be I'm just a helpless romantic...Hee hee

Taschima Yeap, even that far back he got on my nerves. He does try to redeem himself every so often and in those times I hate him a little less, but I don't think I'll ever be able to "love" him or even like him. Sure he is the right guy for Claire, or so the books tell us time and again, but yet he doesn't trust her. How can you truly love without trust? He is just not for everybody I guess. I'm team Myrnin all the way ;) Crazy vamp, even though a self proclaimed killer he is just so crazy and sweet and he really tries to be better. I know Shane tries too, but I just can't stomach him because at the end he is the one who's gonna get the girl so I feel he should be just...better.

message 14: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri I'm team Myrnin all the way. I've never liked Shane either. He's always pissing me off in every book. Claire deserves better and I hope she sees that..but doubtful.

Taschima Teri wrote: "I'm team Myrnin all the way. I've never liked Shane either. He's always pissing me off in every book. Claire deserves better and I hope she sees that..but doubtful."

Amen sister.

Saltygoodness I'm also team Myrnin, it's unbelievable that he's never really given a chance with Claire. I'm still hoping for Claire & Myrnin's HEA at the end of the series

Taschima Saltygoodness wrote: "I'm also team Myrnin, it's unbelievable that he's never really given a chance with Claire. I'm still hoping for Claire & Myrnin's HEA at the end of the series"

Yeah, I know that is never gonna happen. Shane is the HEA for Claire... I really think it boils down to "human" vs. "vampire", and Claire is always gonna go for the human. If Myrnin were human that would be a totally different story...

ReadingRoxy Ta§chima wrote: "Saltygoodness wrote: "I'm also team Myrnin, it's unbelievable that he's never really given a chance with Claire. I'm still hoping for Claire & Myrnin's HEA at the end of the series"

Yeah, I know t..."

I agree, if Myrnin was human Claire would drop Shane in a heart beat..no pun intended. I'm really excited for the next book, it will be interesting to see how everything will play out (view spoiler)

message 19: by Shirlyn (new) - added it

Shirlyn Chin Why do I feel like everybody is ganging up on me?? :(
I like Myrnin, but I just feel like he loves Ada you know? And I think (for me at least) that you can only truly love one person once in your life... Doesn't anyone agree?

Nicole Love Myrnin and love Shane, but Shane wins for me. Myrnin is to wacko for Claire, though I do believe he may actually care for her. I think it's Shane's protectiveness that wins him over for me. So yes I agree with you Shirlyn, Myrnin loves Ada and Claire loves Shane.

Taschima Shirlyn wrote: "Why do I feel like everybody is ganging up on me?? :(

Sorry Shirlyn, totally not ganging up on you, just Myrnin fans trying to make our case. As to your other questin I think you can have more than one love in your life, they are just different kinds of love. Myrnin loves Claire's mind, and he has learned to respect her as a person and a human. He cares about her, he wants to make her happy.