Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)'s Reviews > Defy

Defy by Raine Thomas

May 03, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-on-blog
Read from April 27 to May 03, 2012

Did I enjoy this book: I did enjoy this book. This is my first Raine Thomas book, and I read Defy every free chance I had. It caught my attention from the very first sentence and held my attention to the very end.

The characters were well written. Tate is a strong young woman and I enjoyed the moments where she realized that maybe her parents and aunts and uncles were right and actually taught her things she needed to know in order to survive outside of her protective area. I liked her from the beginning. Zachariah (aka "Sparky") was great as well. I liked his surly, grumpy attitude because you could see that he cared underneath even though he was reluctant to. The chemistry between he and Tate was flawlessly written. Their banter and connection had me laughing and wanting more.

I do wish I had read The Daughters of Saraquel Trilogy first. (I will definitely be reading that soon!) I think it would have helped me understand this book a bit more. The glossary that was included in the beginning of the book was a great help in introducing the various classes of people and how they are recognized. But it was a bit disruptive to keep looking back at those descriptions in order to keep on track. However, with that being said, this book is a stand alone and having read The Daughters of Saraquel is not necessary...it just would've helped a bit.

Would I recommend it: I would recommend this book, especially if you have read The Daughters of Saraquel Trilogy by this author.

Will I read it again: I will not but I will read more books by Raine Thomas, especially the remainder of this trilogy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defy.