Karran's Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: 2012, own, favorites, reviewed
Read from March 15 to 18, 2012

It didn't really occur to me to read J.R.R. Tolkien's books until this month. I've started to wonder a lot about his The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and decided to start with the prequel.

The Hobbit is a classic story which focuses on Bilbo Baggins, in which he embarks on a journey with the dwarves to The Desolation of Smaug.

Firstly, this novel is filled with exciting events that continuously plunges the reader into a world of fantasy with various creatures from trolls, giant spiders, to goblins and dragons. This aspect of the novel ensured that it flowed effortlessly and there was not a boring part in the book. Although, one of my favourite parts have got to be the moment when Bilbo meets Gollum. Each event provided a sinister but also adventurous atmosphere which captured the dwarves' and Bilbo's mission really well.

Furthermore, I thought that the character of Bilbo was very likeable and how he developed throughout the whole book was great. In the beginning he was very wary of joining Thorin and co but as the Hobbit went on Bilbo became braver and stronger as well as eventually gaining the dwarves' trust and respect. I also loved the dwarves which consisted of: Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur and Bombur. In my opinion some stood out more than others for me especially Thorin, Balin and Bombur.

This book also consists of various poems which are scattered throughout the novel, they were all very enjoyable to read especially the one that was sung by the dwarves in Chapter One. The riddles between Bilbo and Gollum in Chapter Five were very intriguing and interesting.

Overall, I found The Hobbit a very captivating read. It drew me in from the first couple of sentences, which of course are:

“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.”

The Hobbit is an enchanting read and I would definitely recommend it. 4/5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.