Geku's Reviews > My Lobotomy: A Memoir

My Lobotomy by Howard Dully

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, audiobooks, read-in-2012
Read from April 05 to 07, 2012

Interesting story and well written, easy to read/listen. His grandpa was Estonian!

Obviously the entire ordeal was awful in itself. I can't imagine that kind of shame and feeling of violation, and what it must have felt like for Dully to know he was that close to death or spending the rest of his life as a vegetable. But I couldn't really see if and how the lobotomy actually affected his life. And he couldn't either. He blames his lobotomy for 40 years of ruined life, yet the operation didn't seem to change him at all and the problems in his life were rather the result of child abuse and one bad environment after another. Maybe not even that. Should you have an excuse for alcoholism and promiscuity? Dully admits he used his lobotomy as an advantage to get himself out of trouble, and that was pretty much the only real connection I could see it having with what went on in his life.

"They were treating me like the Birdman of Alcatraz, but I was just a kid who had been looking forward to Jell-O."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lobotomy.