Diana Gagliardi's Reviews > Pirate King

Pirate King by Laurie R. King

8206612
Jun 09, 12

Read from April 26 to June 06, 2012

Three stars as a Mary Russell, but that makes it a four in the general course of books!

The premise is silly and Russell points that out immediately. She is manuvered to become production assisstant (read- everything, think Skeeter on Muppets) of a British film company that is doing a strangely meta version of Pirates of Penzance (it's a film about a film crew doing a version of "The Pirates of Penzance" that gets attacked by "real" pirates- silly and mind-bending :)).

It was a fun romp that showed how everyone can act outside of their own cultural situation if given interesting motivation (not the goal, I'm sure :)) and allowed us more Holmes and Russell. It also had an interesting meta moment when Russell is forced to react to a Buster Keaton version of the Master- I remember seeing something about Holmes' thoughts on Gillette many years ago, but I don't remember who wrote it...in any case, something I tend to find as an interesting idea as to how he is both real and fictional ("real"?). The offered answer in the Kanon has traditionally been that ACD's avidy in faeries and the occult bled over til all felt Holmes was as fictional as those ideas.

In any case, if not the key story of some of my favorite characters, neither were most of Watson's stories and it is still always nice to visit with old friends. Now, if we get to see more of this "Pirate Queen" starring a certain myopic Beuduin faker with blue eyes, strawberry blonde hair and skills in throwing and knife-fighting...well, I'd be happy for that story as well :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pirate King.

05/31/2012 page 66