Lacey Meier's Reviews > Girl Unmoored

Girl Unmoored by Jennifer Gooch Hummer

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012-challenge, favorites
Read in March, 2012

In 2010, I read this incredible coming of age book called The Wednesday Wars. It’s one of those books that tugs at your heartstrings and when it’s over, you’re crying these happy tears because you just want the story to keep going. That’s what reading Girl Unmoored was like. I had to will myself to finish it because I didn’t want it to end.

Girl Unmoored is the beautiful and tragic story of Apron, her life post losing her mother to cancer. She has a father who has fallen under the spell of a horrible woman named Margie. She just lost her best friend, Rennie, to the most popular girl in her grade. But along comes Mike and Chad, a gay couple who own a flower shop. In her journey, thirteen year old Apron has to deal with Margie becoming pregnant, mean boys and of course, learning about Chad’s battle with AIDS. I hate to write anymore because that would spoil the story for you.

I think you should just trust me when I say read it. I got it on NetGalley but it came out earlier this month. Please, do yourself a service. Put down whatever mish-mash you’re reading and find this book. Make sure you have a couple of tissues handy — you’re going to need them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Unmoored.

Quotes Lacey Liked

Jennifer Gooch Hummer
“I sat there looking normal but thinking about how much I wished we were going to see the real Jesus. Everyone needed a miracle once in a while.”

Jennifer Gooch Hummer
“I stared at the phone and swallowed the piece of my heart that was lodged in my throat now.”

Jennifer Gooch Hummer
“Love. The opposite of fear is love, and every minute of every day, we choose between the two.”

Jennifer Gooch Hummer
“Sometimes things get broken and people make mistakes. It's just what happens. And then, if you're lucky, they get fixed again, before it's too late.”