Tami's Reviews > The Union Quilters

The Union Quilters by Jennifer Chiaverini

May 07, 12

bookshelves: goodreads-giveaways, 2012

I haven't received my copy yet, just received notice I had won. 03/15/12
Received my copy last night and so excited to get started. will have to wait a bit though, I have 11 plus my current read in front. 3/22/12
Started 5/6/12
Finished 5/8/12

The Civil War has started and the Union army is asking for volunteers. The small community of Elm Creek is preparing to send away some of their men to fight. There are some that go willingly, others that want to serve but aren't allowed because they are colored, and still others that sympathize with the Union but oppose the war, and refuse to enlist. The women of Elm Creek use their Quilting Circle to raise funds to send supplies to the soldiers, share the letters coming from the front lines, and discover more about themselves in the process.

What a good book. I have never read anything from the Northern point of view. The women are strong and supportive, when they really just want to curl up and pretend everything is how it was before the war. I like that the families at home are supportive and strong. Very seldom do you have several strong female characters in the same book. There were parts I thought a little unbelievable (like how clueless Gerda seemed to be for being such a smart person) but all in all it was a great story and a good read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Union Quilters.