K. Bird Lincoln's Reviews > Godslayer

Godslayer by Jacqueline Carey

Mar 15, 2012

Read from March 15 to 20, 2012

If you liked the overly-angsty ridden and stilted formality of the prose in Banewreaker, then you will continue to eat up Godslayer, a direct continuation of the Middle Earthlike tale of Lord Satoris the Sunderer of the World and his three immortal human servants against the "good" allies of Haomane in the world of Urulat.

"Ways of the Marasoumie had been destroyed. Lord Satoris had done this in his wrath. The Dragon of Beshtanag was no more, slain by the Arrow of Fire; the lost weapon, found. Bereft of her Soumanie, the Sorceress of the East was nothing more than an ordinary woman; Lilias, mortal and powerless. The Were had struck a bitter bargain with Aracus Altorus, ceding to his terms; defeated ere they rose. Aracus was coming, his heart filled with righteous fury, knowing he had been duped."

Thus begins the further exploration of what evil is, and how evil can contain love and how that which is good can become evil so easily. (Reading this book has infected my writing!)

We get more of Tanaros Blacksword's dueling love for Lord Satoris, his Fjeltroll army, and the hostage Lady Cerelinde. More self-sacrifice from both "good" and "bad" characters, and the continuing flow of irony and ichor (how many times can one use "ichor" in a book, without going completely overboard, I wonder, Godslayer at least skims the boundary) from Lord Satoris himself.

And it still isn't stale. Despite the highblown and emotional dialogue of everyone from Fjeltroll to Yarru-yami (aborigine) and the adjective-heavy prose, it's still a delicious journey through good and evil and satisfying to anyone craving Middle Earth.

The ending almost made me knock down my stars to three. Many of the characters lives' are brought to a close, but a main thread is left loose, and while promising hope, we are left with some major gloom and doom from both sides' perspectives.

But I could not get over the pure, self-indulgent pleasure of the prose and the angst-ridden characters that never cross the line into tedium or buffoonery.

This Book's Snack Rating: More Cheetos for the cheesy, compulsive flavor of the prose and the still satisfying crunch of meaty characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Godslayer.