Morgan's Reviews > Scorched Skies

Scorched Skies by Samantha Young

Mar 22, 2012

bookshelves: 4-stars, 3-stars
Read from March 15 to 18, 2012

Smokeless Fire, the first novel in the Fire Spirits series by Samantha Young, introduced readers to the magical world of the Jinn, a paranormal species similar to genies. In this novel, we were introduced to the history of the Jinn, their magical powers, and the different types of Jinn. We also learned about their gods and the crazy kings who control, manipulate, and thrive on chaos. We also met Ari. We were first introduced to "pre-Jinn" Ari, the normal human girl who was in love with her destructive best friend Charlie. Later, we discovered "Jinn" Ari, the girl whose fate is intertwined with the Jinn and the girl who is attracted to Jai, her new guardian. We were introduced to this fabulous love triangle in Smokeless Fire, and the romance continues in Scorched Skies.

I like both guys in Ari's life, in different ways and for different reasons, but I definitely have a favorite. I like Charlie because I know that he really cares for Ari. He can be selfish and reckless, but he in his own way he loves Ari. They have been friends for years, and they have a special place in each others lives. I love Jai because, in my opinion, he is Ari's true love. If that didn't give it away then let me clearly state, Jai is my favorite. I love how his hardships and his rough upbringing made him a better person, a stronger person. I also love that he always has Ari's best interest at heart. He's sarcastic and mysterious, and him and Ari's sarcastic banter is hilarious and entertaining foreplay. You can feel the sparks fly between. They also have this forbidden romance things going on that makes things even better!! Team Jai! Go team go!

Scorched Skies was a great addition to the Fire Spirits series. The friendships, passion, romance, and drama all continue in this novel. Ari gains confidence and begins to grow into a brave, determined young woman. The gods try and use Ari as a pawn for their own entertainment, but Ari is determined to fight back. I won't tell you how it ends, but I will say that Scorched Skies set the stage perfectly for the next book in the series; I can't wait to see what happens next.

I gave Scorched Skies by Samantha Young 4 STARS (3.5 STARS). I strongly recommend this series to paranormal romance lovers! Personally, I love reading about the Jinn; they are a refreshing change from the typical paranormal species.

-XOXO

READING, EATING AND DREAMING

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorched Skies.