Moira Russell's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

03/15/2012
50.0% "KATNISS <3333 Holy shit this is just as GRIPPING as everyone said it was. Katniss is great. Peeta is annoying but interesting. Poor Rue is going to die, I just know it."
60.0% "Rue aaaaaaaaaaagh" 7 comments
61.0% "AAAAAAAAAGH"
03/15/2012
61.0% "OMG Katniss and the lullaby //sobs"
03/15/2012
67.0% "'You know, you're kind of squeamish for such a lethal person.' Ahaha, Peeta, don't make me like you."
03/15/2012
81.0% "Aww, Haymitch gets Depth!....and it's really depressing. Oy."
03/15/2012
82.0% "Awww man Katniss is all 'FAREWELL (SPOILER). YOU LOVED HER TOO AND FOUGHT WELL.' God, she's practically Roman."
03/15/2012
85.0% "Peeta, you really are not the sharpest arrow in the quiver. NICE GOING WITH THE BERRIES."
03/15/2012
88.0% "AAAAH THE MUTTS SUZANNE COLLINS YOU ARE A SICK PUPPY....ahem."
03/15/2012
90.0% "Actually all the kissing didn't work for me, it would've had a bigger impact if there had been less of it. Which they'll probably do in the movie."
03/15/2012
90.0% "mercy killing aaaaaaaaaaagh"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Proustitute wrote: "I thought I was the only one on the planet who hadn't read this. Glad to know I'm not!"

It is GRIPPING. Holy shit. I got it for my Kindle in an "ehh" mood because it was cheap and I wanted more fiction, but it's actually pretty good. Might read the second -- my friends say the third one sucks eggs, though.

Tori The third one is mind boggling horrible. It made me retroactively hate the entire series.

message 3: by Sherwood (new) - added it

Sherwood Smith They go downhill. (The second is good but it's the same plot as the first, and the worldbuilding problems more obvious, but still an engaging read. Third? Skip it. Read fanfic instead!)

message 4: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Tori wrote: "The third one is mind boggling horrible. It made me retroactively hate the entire series."

KATNISS <3333

Yeah, Rachel and Coraa on their blogs had very convincing arguments for me not picking it up ever ever. I might just read Catching Fire, tho. Not sure yet.

message 5: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Sherwood wrote: "They go downhill. (The second is good but it's the same plot as the first, and the worldbuilding problems more obvious, but still an engaging read. Third? Skip it. Read fanfic instead!)"

KATNISS
I ADORE HER
SHE IS SO SUSPICIOUS AND GRUMPY AND CYNICAL AND PRAGMATIC

Yeah, there's got to be some good fix-it fic out there. Really really not going to read Mockingjay. It sounds for one thing like the author got rushed into writing a trilogy, and the end book is horrible for all sorts of reasons.

message 6: by Sherwood (new) - added it

Sherwood Smith It reads like she got rushed period, and was exhausted, and so the characters reflect that exhaustion in a bad way.

Tori KATNISS <3333

I...don't know who those people are. I had also read really good reasons to not read it, and I was also utterly and completely compelled to keep reading the series. Seriously, it destroyed the entire trilogy for me, in the way that NO BOOK EVER has done.

message 8: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Sherwood wrote: "It reads like she got rushed period, and was exhausted, and so the characters reflect that exhaustion in a bad way."

Yeah, the pace sounds insane -- like all the books came out a year apart and in one interview she said she was promoting the first, finishing up the second and outlining the third. That's pretty tough. IIRC the popularity of the first book took everyone by surprise, and they moved up the pub dates of the sequels, altho I'm not sure about that. At least it sounded like Rowling, for example, got left alone enough to write at her own pace.

message 9: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Tori wrote: "I had also read really good reasons to not read it, and I was also utterly and completely compelled to keep reading the series. Seriously, it destroyed the entire trilogy for me, in the way that NO BOOK EVER has done.

Yeah, that is what absolutely everyone has said. i think I'm just going to pretend there is no third book.

I am so mad at Mockingjay, I screamed in horror and threw a magazine in the air because it had Hunger Games movie pictures on the cover. Not that I am melodramatic."

I gotta say, Jennifer Lawrence seems like a good actress but she's not anything like my mental picture of Katniss (she sounds biracial to me - olive skin and dark hair, but with grey eyes, and she specifically doesn't look like Prim and her mother). Also a movie adaptation is going to not have her voice and great POV -- it's just going to be Shit Blowing Up, is my guess.

message 10: by Sherwood (new) - added it

Sherwood Smith A movie will also have pretty kids being sexy before Shit Blows Up. Really, the first book is practically in screenplay form, all but the format.

(The second will be easy, too, basically second-verse-same-as-the-first, but the third is either going to have to be redone from bare metal, or it will tank like a tanking thing.)

message 11: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Sherwood wrote: "Really, the first book is practically in screenplay form, all but the format.

Well, you can't do first-person narration in a movie (except with voiceovers, and those don't last that long), and that's the bit I'm really enjoying.

I REALLY don't think they're going to have (spoiler) die in the third book. I don't know.

message 12: by JSA (new) - rated it 4 stars

JSA Lowe Agreed that the second two aren't the same as the first one, but I don't think they're bad. Well okay, Catching Fire does have some of the WORST exposition ever written. But I think Collins had reasons for doing what she does with the characters and situations in the second two books...and just because Mockingjay is super-gory doesn't mean it's not a logical extension of Hunger Games—on the contrary. Too dazed by lunch to write more coherently; but I guess I'm trying to say that I think you should keep reading them. Just because.