Joan's Reviews > Hawaii

Hawaii by James A. Michener

Mar 15, 12

What an accomplishment!! I mean just READING this 937 page tome, let alone researching and writing it! This is the second Michener book I have managed to plow through – the first being The Source. If you want to immerse yourself in the history and culture of a place, Michener’s your guy. I began reading Hawaii before our trip to Hawaii, and read it while there, but didn’t finish it. Several books intervened, and it took being laid up with the flu, but I am very glad to have read this novel. Michener creates great characters that take you through centuries of time and generations of people, and give the reader a wonderful sense of a place, with enough plot to keep your interest. From the volcanic formation of the islands, through the original islanders who made their way by sail-canoe from Bora Bora, to the New England missionaries, the Chinese and Japanese laborers brought in to work on the sugar and pineapple plantations, all the way up to statehood, this book has given me considerable background and a great appreciation for the diversity of Hawaii’s people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hawaii.