Heather Tisdale's Reviews > So Speaks the Heart

So Speaks the Heart by Johanna Lindsey

2003692
Mar 14, 12

Read in March, 2012

Get rid of the rape being justified by "but your body wants me," and I would have given this one 3 stars (barely). A dominant man might be nice, but a rapist needs to be stabbed. I'd really get pissed at the author for this one, but I realized it was written in the early 80's and apparently rape was considered sexy then so I'll move on since her more modern stuff doesn't seem to have this theme. Whomever started the idea of a sexy rape scene should be smacked. I can't believe women let authors get away with this as entertainment. I get that it works for the time period of the book, but it still sends the wrong message out there when these girls fall in love with the man who rapes them.
If only my copy had had that cover on it...I'd have been warned that it was a book from the 80's.
As for the rest of the book, i liked the second half of the book, but the beginning felt weak to me. At least it picked up, but it needed some substance to sustain it.

Edit:
Apparently I spoke too soon about the authors later stuff... She's still doing this in the late 90's and I may still find later books if I attempt to read the rest of her catalog. This bothers me because I love some of her stuff and I don't want to miss something good. Maybe I'll have to actually start reading summaries before I check out her books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Speaks the Heart.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henrietta (new)

Henrietta Hi, I just have to say I agree wholeheartedly with you! Almost all her books begin with some sort of rape that just leaves me with a sour taste and i feel uncomfortable. I have just read 2 books by her that did not include any form of rape and they were great!