Jenny's Reviews > Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson

Sep 19, 08

Read in August, 2008

Despite Sanderson's attempt at humor and literary allusions, I just don't think he quite pulled it off with this book. I realize that the off the wall, wacky, and even silly feel of this book is part of its appeal for kids. Unfortunately, Sanderson's literary creativity often came off as annoying instead of funny.

Sanderson does have some good ideas for fantasy and my kids did somewhat enjoy listening to this book. But they did not like Alcatraz's negative tone at all. I see a lot of potential in Alcatraz, but I truly think it needs a very good editor. Maybe the next books in the series will be better.

We listened to the book on CD. Charlie Wade, as the narrator, did a great job, except for the fact that his "Alcatraz" voice grated on my nerves and annoyed me.

The best line of the whole book was "I, for instance, have not been able to transform myself into a popsicle despite years of effort." That honestly made us crack up!

If you have time to kill, it's an okay read, but there are so many awesome books out there that I honestly must ask, "Why waste your time?"
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians.