Eric Wright's Reviews > Our Kind of Traitor

Our Kind of Traitor by John le Carré

Mar 24, 12

bookshelves: thriller-suspense
Read from March 14 to 24, 2012

John le Carre is one of the authors I look forward to reading, so when I saw this one, I bought it. In this case, I was a bit slow to get into the plot of the book. The writing is a bit wordy. However, le Carre paints a marvelous picture of some really quirky characters; an Oxford academic who is fed up with his teaching and wants some adventure, his barrister girlfriend, two typical British intelligence characters, a wierd Russian billionaire money-launderer and his entourage. The two lovers on a holiday in the Caribbean chance to bump into Dima, the Russian, who challenges Perry to a tennis match then promptly adopts them as his friends. He introduces Perry and Gail, his girlfriend to his family and indicates his desire to defect to Britain.

Tension mounts as Dima's supposed guards turn out to be assassins in waiting. Will Perry be able to enlist the disfunctional British intelligence community in their rescue?

From the Caribbean to Paris to the Swiss Alps, the book exposes the confusion and corruption of the Brit Intelligence community, the City of London, etc. The ending is guaranteed to surprise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Kind of Traitor.