Brianna Kilcrease's Reviews > Ember

Ember by Madison Daniel

Mar 20, 12

Read from March 15 to 18, 2012

"Love at first sight, I've always heard that said in movies or my favorite books but I never believed in it for a second. Death at first sight. That was much more my style. You know, the whole James Dean kind of thing. Live fast, die young sort of culture. Soon enough I would have experienced both" - Max Valentine

This is the first of five books that I will be reading from Crushing Hearts & Black Butterfly, and after reading this book I am pleasantly surprised. If all CHBB books are like Ember, then I will gladly read every single one of them.

Ember follows the story of Max Valentine, also known as Mad Max. He's a troubled 18 year old who has moved to Hawaii to live with his Uncle. Now you can't have a YA without a triangle, or so it seems lately. *Sigh* So enter Asia and Sam. Now I have a love/hate relationship with love triangles, since I usually can't make up my mind which one they should choose. It's easier for me to choose girls though. Mostly because as a girl and when you have two guys to choose from it sucks. But when you're a girl with two girls you can judge them better since you don't like them or anything.

Max can make heat from any part of his body and sometimes he loses control when angered. Hence his nickname Mad Max. He escapes his past or so he thinks, and meets Asia his first day in Maui while finding his new doggie friend Oz. Asia is sort of like him in the fact that she is "cursed" with another gift. Her and Max automatically feel connected when they meet for a second time at the beach.

On the other point of the triangle there's Sam. Blonde and sweet she calms Maxes anger and makes him feel better. I sort of got pretty tired of him like kissing them both and being with them both. I was like Choose someone and stick with them! And then I felt like Sam betrayed him at one part but did that stop him from getting her? No! He kept flirting with her after being mad for a few days. And in the end I feel like he chooses the wrong path.

All in all a great novel. It was very original. At the beginning I didn't like the way it was written, but by the end I was too engrossed to notice. Great characters and a fun premise, Ember is a 4.5 out of 5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ember.

03/16/2012 page 4