Kirstie's Reviews > The Art of Blade of the Immortal

The Art of Blade of the Immortal by Hiroaki Samura

Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: art-books
I own a copy

If you have already read my review on the manga series as a whole then you know I think each individual panel is a piece of artwork in its own right, so when I heard there was an artbook I was tempted to say 'isn't each volume an artbook' but I knew it would be full colour versions of the cover art and title pages.
This book does not disappoint. This large-sized hard-cover immediately became one of the prize pieces of my collection. They even take care with double-page spreads to split them so the join of the image is not lost in the binding as with many artbooks. Some of the pictues are full colour and others are pencil/charcoal shaded works, but every single piece displayes Samura-sama's incredible talent. It even includes a few enlarged panels and the odd shot of Samura-sama's hand working on a piece(pages 32-33 and 114-115 for those who want to skip straight to them). Look for page 34 where there is a photograph of a woman with an image of Rin painted on her back Yakuza tattoo-style.
The amazing artwork fills me with inspiration every time I look at them, even pieces I have seen countless time over the last decade. It was worth every cent it cost - and the cost was not as high as I expected.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Blade of the Immortal.