Christi Snow's Reviews > Shades of Desire

Shades of Desire by Virna DePaul

May 23, 12

Read in May, 2012

My Review:
I liked this one and am looking forward to the rest of the SIG series. SIG is a special branch of the Department of Justice investigative offices in California. Mac is a detective who works on this five (I think that's the right number) person team. The book starts with him commiserating the fact that relationships are impossible in their line of work. The job they do requires these men and women to put the job first and that leaves very little time, real or emotional, for a significant other. Mac has one failed marriage under his belt and knows that he'll never even try to have a relationship again.

Natalie is a professional photographer. At the beginning of the book, she is walking around a farmers market taking photos through her VERY shadowy eyesight. Natalie has been losing her vision for the last 20 years to the point where life around her is just shadows and blobs of color, but on this day, the final veil comes down and Natalie is shattered to lose it all.

Eight weeks later, these two are brought together when Natalie is attacked in her home. She manages to fight the attacker off, but the clues show that he is someone of interest in a murder case of a 16 yo girl that Mac is working. When Natalie's name comes across his desk, he does a search on her and is immediately drawn to both the woman and the art of her photography, but he doesn't realize she's now blind.

So that's the set-up, but there is so much to this story. Natalie is mentally in a really scary place right now as she's trying to adjust to her blindness. She has learned over her lifetime to count on no one but herself, but that's basically impossible as she's trying to learn to cope. To complicate an already impossible situation, now she's being attacked by a man she can't see coming. She's scared and stubborn and trying to keep some semblance of her pride intact. Mac feels the draw to her and doesn't want to have anything to do with it so he's incredibly harsh with her. It's a defense mechanism, but *gah*...this man does not handle the situation well at all. Jase, his partner, on the case keeps trying to reign him in, but Mac is pretty stubborn too.

But you know, this is a romance....there is no keeping these two apart. I have to admit, as a reader, it was painful to watch these two lash out at each other. They each are doing it to try to build protective walls, but each of them say some incredibly hurtful things and that was the one thing that hurt this book for me. I understood it and why they did it, but once those things are out there, there is no taking them back. There was so much though that I did really love about this book.
*the chemistry between Mac and Natalie is HOT....OMG, is it hot!
*I loved the photography aspect of the story. Natalie can't see any longer, but she still visualizes and that makes this book extremely descriptive in its imagery. It was really a wonderful aspect to the story.
*I loved SIG and cannot wait for Jase and Carrie's story. We got to see glimpses of them in this one and I liked what I saw.

Overall this was a good book and a wonderful addition to the Romantic Suspense genre. I can't wait to read more from this series!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Desire.