Ns's Reviews > Into the Wilderness

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati

Mar 28, 12

Read in March, 2012

Into the Wilderness is an incredible adventure story. The story is rich in detail and I was swept into a different time. Nathaniel Bonner is a worthy hero and Elizabeth Middleton is the perfect heroine for him. She blossomed into a strong frontier-woman who tames the land, the man and makes a home in the wild. Their love story is not without trials and tribulations, but these are the things that made their love grow. They carved a life for themselves in the wild and introduced me to a different world; wilder, picturesque and refreshing.

I didn't fall in love with the story right away, but in time and with each moment their world took shape in my mind, their plights became real and I connected. Their way of life is vividly described encompassing both the mundane and the memorable. Yet, the pieces came together nicely to portray the plight of the Indians, the settlers and shaping of the town. There are moments that saddened me but these were few and many more moments of accomplishments and triumphs.

The characters I met felt real and their motivations believable. The place of Paradise is as much a discovery for Boots, as Nathaniel so endearingly calls Elizabeth, as it is for the readers. Her unconventional ways serves her in her plan of opening a schoolhouse for the village children. Her love for the land and for Nathanial takes her on an adventure that amazes me.

I suggest saving this story for a time when you can fully appreciate all the details. There is a lot to take in and so much more to take from the story in the end. In some ways the story reminded me of Little House on the Prairie in that the people are thrust into a place so unlike their world, thrives, and ultimately makes a home in it.

I keep seeing the book, Outlander mentioned in many of the reviews here and I think it's worth a mention that I enjoyed this story all on its own merit as I haven't read Outlander (yet). I simply fell for the story. The adventure is amazing and well worth getting lost in. I'm excited to embark on more journeys with the Bonners in the Wilderness series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wilderness.