Katherine's Reviews > Brightest Kind of Darkness

8197542
Jun 22, 12

bookshelves: favorites, top-shelf-fantastic-reads
Read from June 19 to 21, 2012

There are so many things about the story that I love. First, the storyline itself is very well done. Just the right amount of action and mystery to keep me guessing all of the way through. From the very first chapter, you get first hand experience of what the main character, Inara, goes through each morning when she walks up. The decisions that she has to make based on what she dreams the night before. I thought that she handled it well, for dealing with it all on her own for so long. Secondly, Ethan's appearance in her life, is a welcome relief for her, even though we don't always understand his motivations in the beginning. By the end, I have a strong respect for him, and what his life has been like leading up to meeting Inara. I love that neither one of them are willing to walk away from each other, even though at times it seems like the easiest thing to do. They become quite a couple to reckon with. I look forward to seeing what will happen next. The UST between them is very intense to read. His dark hair, blue eyes, and interesting tattoos paint quite the picture.

The only thing that I found that I didn't care for in the story, is Nara's relationship with her mother. Like most YA novels, the parents are always completely unaware of what their children are going through, because they're working or traveling, and the other parent has left the picture or died. At least she has her Aunt Sage, who seems to be giving Nara information about her father and why he left in small spoonfuls. The relationship with her father, or the lack there of, is one part that I am looking forward to reading more about. I just hope that the author doesn't take the same road as most YA authors do.

I do believe that everything happens for a reason in one's life. This story reminds me of that fact. Decisions made big and small can change the course of one's life and those around them. I love this story for that reason alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brightest Kind of Darkness.

06/19/2012 page 34
06/19/2012 page 79
32.0% "I love that Nara and Ethan work at animal shelter. My dog was rescued from the pound, and he is wonderful. We love our dog so much. :)"
06/19/2012 page 149
60.0% "Normally I want the storyline or action to move along quickly, but I'm halfway through the book, and I am just know getting the dynamics of Nara and Ethan's relationship. I love that things aren't easily explained just yet."
06/20/2012 page 205
83.0% "I haven't read a story this interesting and cool in a long time."