Leonie's Reviews > Dandy Gilver and the Proper Treatment of Bloodstains

Dandy Gilver and the Proper Treatment of Bloodstains by Catriona McPherson

F 50x66
Mar 14, 12

bookshelves: mysteries, historical-fiction

This was a nice read and I liked the way we got to know the characters and surroundings. The reveal was even quite good too. So I feel like maybe I'm being mean not to give it another star. I won't, partly because it wasn't a stand-out read, and partly because Dandy really didn't seem to be a very good detective. She's supposed to be undercover as a servant, and she doesn't enter into the spirit of it at all -- I'd have thought McPherson, having come up with the situation would have wanted to get more mileage out of it. It doesn't work very well, the other servants not smelling more of a rat the way Dandy behaves. Also, she's far too trusting and willing to believe that the things people say and the way they behave are genuine and therefore rule them out as suspects. It's no real credit to her that the murderer is discovered. Anyway, I do intend to read more of the series. Dandy has a rather unhappy marriage, seemingly, and I'd be interested to know if that detail is going somewhere or if it's just added for a bit of shade.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dandy Gilver and the Proper Treatment of Bloodstains.