Chris Johnson's Reviews > The Lean Startup: How Today's Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses

The Lean Startup by Eric Ries

Mar 14, 2012

Read in December, 2011

This was a nice book that talks as much about Silcon Valley style culture as anything else. A ton of my peers are in mid-career finance/law/govenrment jobs. The only way they stay for years is if there is some sort of inefficiency that keeps them there. The utility of the tasks they perform isn't much - at all.

I loved the ethos that Eric shares...When a new employee makes a mistake: "SHame on us for making it easy for you to fail." That type of accountability doesn't exist, we have a "punish the risk taker" ethos throughout all levels of education, government and law that is making people that have the balls to experiment into outcasts.

That lack of experiment, you must react to every utterance of your bosses and you don't have latitude to try things stinks. I have failed more than I have succeeded. And that trend will continue.

Reminds me of Hemmingway. "For every sentence of masterpiece I write 99 sentences of crap. I try hard to make sure that the crap winds up in the wastebasket."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lean Startup.

03/08 marked as: read