Slackson's Reviews > Children of the Dust

Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence

U 50x66
Mar 14, 12

** spoiler alert ** This book, read in a high school class a few years ago, is certainly one of the less inspired stories I have read. Its treatment of the topics is heavy-handed, and the moralizing tone of the whole thing is not something I look for in literature. It's like the author is shouting "Look! Look! Important issues!" as if that will compensate for the flaws in the writing.

The structure of the novel, with its division into different times with different characters, had potential. However, the character's treatment was not adjusted to suit this, and so the reader never actually really cares about the characters. This is frustrating and unnecessary. The writer seems to find it necessary to fill the gaps between the different sections with explicit description of what has happened, and sacrifices space that's absolutely necessary to get us to give a shit about these people.

If the author treated characters like they are in short stories, with character being shown through behaviour, and less explicit descriptions of what has happened in the greater context of things, and had an actually plausible plot, this might be okay. But then it would be a completely different book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of the Dust.