Kelly's Reviews > Cure for the Common Life: Living in Your Sweet Spot

Cure for the Common Life by Max Lucado

Aug 08, 08

Read in June, 2008

What an amazing book! I loved it! It's written with really short sentences so it's easy to read and remember - great for one that is supposed to help you make changes to your life. Makes me think and inspires me to be more confident in who the Lord created me to be in the beginning. It also has really helped me with parenting, actually. Good job, Blue, for getting it for me!

Here are some underlined passages in my book --

What engineers give sports equipment, God gave you. A zone, a region, a life precinct in which you were made to dwell. He tailored the curves of your life to fit an empty space in his jigsaw puzzle. And life makes sense when you find your spot.

Life assignments: "Go to your place. Dispatch your abilities, and unfurl my goodness." Most refuse. Few cooperate. We accept the present, but neglect its purpose. We accept the gift, thank you, but ignore the Giver and promote self.

God. He knew young Isreal would need a code, so he gave Moses a love for the law. He knew the doctrine of grace would need a fiery advocate, so he set Paul ablaze. And in your case, he knew what your generation would need and gave it. He designed you. And his design defines your destiny. Remember Peter's admonition? "If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies" (I Peter 4:11).

Americans shell out more for garbage bags than 90 percent of the world's 210 countries spend for everything. Indeed, America has double the number of shopping malls as it does high schools.

Greed comes in many forms. Greed for approval. Greed for applause. Greed for status. Greed for the best office, the fastest car, the prettiest date. Greed has many faces, but speaks one language: the language of more.

David rejected the armor, selected the stones, lobotomized the giant, and taught us a powerful lesson: what fits others might not fit you. Indeed, what fits the king might not fit you. Just becasue someone hands you armor, you don't have to wear it. Just becasue someone gives you advice, a job, or a promotion, you don't have to accept it. Let your uniquness define your path of life. "You, the Lord, give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm and put their trust in you" (Isa. 26:3 TEV).

Success is not defined by position or pay scale but by this: doing the most what you do the best.

That's all within the first 46 pages... there is some great thought provoking, bold stuff in here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cure for the Common Life.