Heidi's Reviews > Between

Between by Cambria Hebert

Apr 18, 12

Read in April, 2012

Four stars: Another tiny taste of things to come in the upcoming Charade.

Between, is a short novella that places you into the shoes of Logan, Sam's younger brother.  Logan finds himself going through the motions of day to day life.  Pretending that all is well, when inside he is screaming.  He is angry at the loss of his brother.  Bitter that is father abandoned Sam after his genetic mutation reared its head.  Confused that his mother didn't fight for Sam.  At school, things are just as bad.  He suffers at the hands of the school bullies.  Repeatedly coming home with bruises, while his parents somehow fail to see the marks.  Things are changing in Logan's world.  The pent up rage is slowly bubbling and pushing to the surface, he is on the verge of an eruption.  Logan begins to feel not quite right, strange dreams haunt him, and then he wakes up in the back yard.  The next day he hears some disturbing reports on the news, and he notices long scratches on his arm.  Logan is at a breaking point.  Will he, too, succumb to Sam's fate?

I enjoyed going to back into the world of Cambria Hebert's Heven and Hell series.  I liked seeing things through Logan's eyes and gaining a new perspective on Sam.  Watching Logan suffer made my heart ache.  I was cheering for him, and hoping he would find his way and learn to take a stand against the bullies and his overbearing father.  Between, is a quick and engaging read.  Once you finish you will be eager to find out what happens next.  I am hoping that Logan will play a prominent role in the upcoming book, Charade, the sequel to Masquerade.   I am anxious to see if Logan will be a help or a hinderance to Sam, especially when it comes to Heven and Sam's relationship.  I like Logan and hope things go well for him.

My only complaint, as with almost all novellas, is that just as the story is getting exciting it wraps, leaving you hungering for more.  If you are a fan of Masquerade, you will want to read this one.  Look for the exciting continuation of Sam, Heven and Logan's stories in the upcoming Charade.

I have to say that I really love the cover on this one.  It is my favorite of the series.
Originally posted @ http://rainydayramblings.typepad.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Valentine Yay! I'm so anxious to finish Masquerade so I can get to the rest of this series too -- I'm really glad you liked this one, Heidi! :) <3

message 2: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ I love the cover on this too, Heidi. I always cringe with bully stories, I feel so bad when for the characters when I read them. Great review Heidi. :)

Heidi Yes, Rachel me too. I hate bullies.