Julie Barrett's Reviews > Some Girls: My Life in a Harem

Some Girls by Jillian Lauren

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: finished-2012, memoirs
Read from March 14 to 16, 2012

Found this on the 25 cent shelf at Half Price Books only a few weeks after reading the Vanity Fair article about Prince Jefri and all his legal woes. It was an interesting perspective on the insane lifestyle of the princes of Brunei - told from the view of one of their harem. And really, that is what they had. A harem. A very very expensive harem. I read in Business Insider that at one point Prince Jefri was spending 50 MILLION A MONTH. Yep, you read that right. And after reading this memoir, you will understand how he blew through that money.

Reading this memoir me wonder how stupid that Miss USA was who sued the Prince for being kidnapped and raped. Hmm, or maybe how smart? Like she was lying in the lawsuit in order to get more money? Because why any woman would think she was not traveling there in order to be a hooker, I don't know. The author of this book knew. She worried about being killed or held in some sort of slavery situation, but she still went. Money does that to people, I guess.

The author also did a good job of explaining how a person gets to the point where they think traveling to a foreign country to be a prostitute for some wealthy princes is a good idea. In short - daddy issues. Also drug addiction, anorexia, clinical depression and debilitating anxiety. Mix together along with a beautiful body & face & you've got a high class hooker. I like how she didn't sugar coat things. She wasn't a total victim or a total golddigger - just a confused, unhappy teenager who can't say no. A lot of the book made me slap my forehead and roll my eyes. The author made a lot of dumb moves in her life. It was an entertaining, quick read but if she was my friend in real life, her actions would have driven me cuckoo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls.