Tori's Reviews > The Disenchantments

Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, wait-i-read-this, review
Recommended for: Anyone
Read from March 23 to 26, 2012, read count: 1

First off, this book is not girly and romantic. Despite the cover, the main character is a boy. The summary inside the book jacket sheds no light on the book's amazing qualities...and if Colby is a boy.

It took me a while to get into the book. I slowly crept my way to around page 80 when things started to get interesting. There wasn't really a turning point, it was just...better. All the traveling they did kind of reminded me of John Green's "Abundance of Katherines". This was a good read for anyone who's obsessed with girl bands and rockers from ages ago. I loved Colby! He was awesome. He wasn't secretly insecure about himself or arrogant, just perfect. If I wasn't sitting in my history class I would've screamed when (spoiler!) he called Jasper and invited him along.

Although the writing was amazing, a few things bothered me. Bev. She pissed me off with all the secrets and especially 'leading people on' like they mentioned in the book. And she never told Colby how she felt. All she did was make-out and shack up with him. (And her mother pissed me off too.) But I did like the ending and how it was left open. This was the perfect length for this story. I felt like everyone had their little "ending".

Just one more question. What was significant about tulips? I must've missed it.
I found it kinda funny how Jasper just laughed like it was such a pansy idea for a tattoo, but eh, Colby's Colby. He obviously does his own thing.

*Hanna- Freelance Whales...perfect song for this book*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disenchantments.

03/23/2012 "Really did not expect Colby to be a girl and the rest of the Disenchantments to be girls. I actually got the opposite from the summary."
03/23/2012 "Really did not expect Colby to be a BOY and the rest of the band to be girls. When I read the summary I thought it was the complete opposite."