♥ Caitlin's Reviews > The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions: Strategies for Helicoptering, Hot-housing & Micromanaging

The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions by J.D. Rothman

Mar 14, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in March, 2012

What I really loved about this book: the design. Kudos to the book designer; the layout, the cover, the graphics, and the diagrams were very spiffy and easy on the eye.

Now, unfortunately, for the negatives. Well, I got this as part of a Goodreads Giveaway, so I'm not really a member of the book's targeted audience. I mean, I should be because I am a high school senior and will be attending college in the fall. However, it feels like this book is more for those who are interested in attending more prestigious schools, which I am not. I don't doubt at all that I could get accepted into one; rather, that isn't my drive. I believe that my education will develop more at a small, private institution.

Anyway, I feel like this book is targeting those students, and particularly their parents, that are considering the top US universities.

But that isn't really the reason I'm rating this book a 2. To be honest, I just don't really think the book is all that humorous. For instance, the author writes on page 7, "If you're reading this when your child is a junior or senior in high school, we're sorry to let you know that you have started agonizing way too late, and we suggest you implement this experience with a strong cocktail or Ativan." Much of the humor has a bitter, condemning edge to it.

Secondly, the author admits that some of her research was done on Wikipedia. I'm not very enthused by that.

Thirdly, it seems like this book is similar to those arguments you hear on public radio talk shows, about how people with loads of cash get the best of everything. For instance, the author mentions more than a few times that a parent could get his/her child into the best school by paying a company for SAT prep, college essays, etc. - and even asserts (I'm not sure if she was kidding or not) that Chinese students have been admitted into the top US schools by doing this.

As I mentioned before, I did win this book in a giveaway. So, I'm not particularly part of the group that the author is trying to reach. However, I don't want that to sway my review. Truth is, I probably wouldn't buy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Neurotic Parent's Guide to College Admissions.