Peter's Reviews > The History of the Church: From Christ to Constantine

The History of the Church by Eusebius

May 01, 2014

bookshelves: owned-not-read

I've admittedly read this book in sections over the years, and as with a great many "histories", I think Eusebius is best taken in bite sized chunks. This is not because it is not fascinating, but because often for the modern reader understanding the references he makes can take time to piece together.

That being said, consistently one of the claims I continue to hear from Protestant sectors of Christianity is that "up until Constantine, the Church had things basically correct....then things started going off track" - or something to that effect. One of the clearest and straightforward rebuttals to such such sophistry is found in Eusebius, who often inadvertently makes the case for continuity of faith practiced by those who were persecuted for it, precisely by describing the things they were persecuted for.

Overall a wonderful addition to any library, and should be required reading for any who wish to opine on the "early church".

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of the Church.

05/01/2014 marked as: owned-not-read