Amanda Makepeace's Reviews > Hunter and Fox

Hunter and Fox by Philippa Ballantine

Jun 06, 12

Read from March 14 to May 24, 2012

Maybe it’s the Anthropologist in me, but I couldn’t get enough of the peoples and cultures of Conhaero and the mystery of the White Void from which they came. As I read Hunter and Fox I found myself scrutinizing the details and always yearning for more. Imagine an outdoor market filled with cultures from around the world. The scents, sounds and colors would be intoxicating. Hunter and Fox is all that and more. Philippa Ballantine is easily a master world builder but it’s the richness of her characters too that held my gaze, pulled on my emotions and kept me up all night.

I enjoy reading Fantasy, but it’s not always my first choice. Too often I feel like I’m reading the same books, only with different titles. Not so here. When I give a Fantasy novel 5 stars–as I did Hunter and Fox–then you know it’s a cut above the rest. I immediately identified with the character Talyn the Dark. She’s strong and ruthless, and does the Caisah’s bidding. She’s not a heroine. Or is she? Everything is open to interpretation and you soon learn there is more to Talyn’s story, and everyone else’s too. She’s not alone in her struggle. There are many things hidden in Conhaero and they all begin to take shape at once. If I say anymore I’ll start spilling spoilers!

Hunter and Fox is only the first book in the Shifted World series, so don’t expect everything to be resolved at the end. It’s like an episode of Game of Thrones, you’ll be gasping at the end and wondering how the book could end there!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunter and Fox.

03/27/2012 page 13
04/04/2012 page 103
30.0% "I've been glued to this book every night. Awesome characters and a fascinating world. I wish I had time to read all day!"
show 9 hidden updates…